Friday 8 April 2011

Why do you want to be a Football Coach? Continued....



5. Do I stop learning once I am qualified?
As I mentioned previously this is a personal opinion but the answer is a definite no for me.  I should strive to maintain, improve and be ambitious about coaching and qualifications for coaching.  The internet is a great resource whether it be for simple skills practices for your next coaching session or when the next course is on that will take you up your own coaching ladder.

6. How would I like to see the game played?
Do you have a coaching philosophy?  This was one of the most enlightening experiences for me when I was first asked the question.  My first attempt at this was on one my coaching courses a number of years ago and I was pleasantly surprised at the end result as follows:

To influence players:
  • Technically, physically, mentally, skill acquisition and personally
To be:
  • Positive, enthusiastic and empowering
My goal is to:
  • Develop skilled, confident and creative players
  • Make the game fun and realistic to practice and play
  • Encourage good sportsmanship and respect for all
  • Value and recognise winning but not at the expense of character & development
  • Utilize the latest methods and technologies
  • Create a professional environment in which players develop 
  • Provide a safe and educational experience for players
Coaching method
  • An extensive passing, skilful and technical game
  • Plenty of free play – learn from game realistic play
  • Encourage expression, creativity and innovation
  • Play in different positions
  • Freedom to make mistakes


7. Which team(s) inspire you as a supporter of football?
Some may accuse me of jumping on the bandwagon with this but I can honestly say it was before the World Cup in South Africa that I said I admired the Spanish style of play.  However it was the Under 19 Spanish team that I initially admired and not the senior squad that went on to win the World Cup in 2010.  I have since realised that this style is all pervading through the Spanish game and is particularly present in Barcelona's style of play and that of Barcelona's academy at La Masia de Can Planes.  This team, providing most of the national team's players.

The Football Association have since gone on to attempt to describe the style, or DNA of the English game in the 'Future Game' the technical guide for young player development.  Unfortunately, we are now playing catch up with countries such as Spain and Germany who recognised the lack of a national association template a number of years ago.  The results since? Spain have won 6 UEFA youth tournaments in the last 10 years and Germany 3.   England, thankfully have had recent success at U17 beating Spain in 2010 and the signs are good, particularly at the U16 to U21 level for England.



Recommended Reading - Coaching Soccer - Bert Van Lingen.  Some parts of this book are a little dated now (1997) but shows the KNVB were light years ahead of most national associations.  Another excellent read with a lot of great information.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coaching-Soccer-Official-Dutch-Association/dp/1890946044

Quote of the day “I can accept failure – everyone fails at something.  But I can't accept not trying”.
Michael Jordan – Basketball Player

Video of the day - superb - Messi & Maradona


No comments:

Post a Comment